Every Wednesday morning, in the church centre, a few of us get together for morning prayer. Yesterday morning we were reading John's account of the feeding of the 5000 and were thinking about Andrew the role of Andrew (John 6:1-15). Excellent timing given that it is St Andrew's day on Friday. The thing that we noticed about Andrew is that he is nearly always the one introducing people to Jesus. In this story it is Andrew who introduces the boy with the loaves and fish to Jesus who then goes on to use this little boy's packed lunch to perform an amazing miracle. Right at the beginning of the gospels it is Andrew who introduces Peter to Jesus who then uses Peter to be the rock on which he builds his church. Andrew is continually instrumental in inviting and introducing people to Jesus who then proceeds to do amazing things. Challenging stuff as we think about our own roles as people who invite and introduce.
Over the next few weeks we have lots of great opportunities to invite people into our fellowship and perhaps to introduce them to Jesus. Sometimes inviting people can feel hard for all sorts of reasons but Christmas is a time when it is often easier. During Christmas we have such amazing good news to share and so many people are open to hearing it. Don't underestimate the power of an invite, here's just a few of the things going on:
- December 2nd - All Together Service - Getting Ready - 10.30am for a 10:45 start
- December 7th - Over 50's Community Christmas Ball - 12:30pm (See the S4B team for details)
- December 9th - Communion Service (The Angel Visits Mary) - 10.30am for a 10:45 start
- December 15th - Christmas Film Afternoon - 3.30pm
- December 16th - Morning Praise (The Angel Visits Joseph) - 10.30am for a 10:45 start
- December 16th - Carol Service - 4:30pm
- December 20th - Positive Steps Christmas Meal (See Mo for details)
- December 23rd - Christingle Service (Candles and Fruit and Sweets..oh my!) - 10.30am for a 10:45 start
- December 25th - Merry Christmas - 10.30am for a 10:45 start
Who are you planning to invite?